View Single Post
Old 05-13-2017, 07:58 AM
pulykamell pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 43,022
Originally Posted by Bones Daley View Post
Huh ? I have never heard the verticals of a ladder referred to as anything other than the stiles ... and the steps you stand on are called the rungs

"Stiles" is probably as obscure to the average person in the street as "tines" , but I think most people would be familiar with "rungs".
Yeah, I couldn't have told you they were called "stiles." Not sure I know that word, but I am very familiar with "tines" (and, of course, "rungs.")