View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Little View Post
... I cannot understand Pelosi's reluctance to go full throttle on impeachment. If she knows Trump is ill and deteriorating, that may be what's motivating her to keep hitting the brakes even though we are now at the place where over half of the House is calling for his removal. ...
IF "over half the House" were calling for impeachment (not "removal," as the House has no power to remove a president), then it would be remarkable indeed that Pelosi hasn't called for a vote.

But of course that is not the case. There are 435 voting members of the House, and to date 134 of them have called for "an impeachment inquiry" (not a vote). ('More than half' of 435 would be 218.)

An impeachment vote now would endanger the House Democratic majority:

Quote:
Of the 31 lawmakers from districts Trump won in 2016, only two — freshman Reps. Lauren Underwood of Illinois and Chris Pappas of New Hampshire — have backed impeachment during the six-week-long congressional recess, according to an analysis by The Washington Post.

“People in my district are wanting us to pass bills, and they fear that if we go down this path of impeachment, we’re not going to be working on the things that affect their lives, their pocketbooks, their kids,” said freshman Rep. Elissa Slotkin (D-Mich.), who represents a Trump district and has yet to back an impeachment inquiry.

... House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has also resisted calls for proceedings in part out of concern about political blowback on these very lawmakers who were crucial to delivering the House majority last year.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...f68_story.html

And of course a vote that leads to a Senate acquittal would give Trump a boasting-point that far outstrips a mere 'they haven't voted to impeach me'*. And practical people are looking at the results of such a vindication for Trump. How would Americans be better off with Republican-majority Senate AND House (again), with a re-elected Trump?

Quote:
And as Rep. Katie Porter (D-Calif.) told impeachment-backing constituents at a recent town hall: The Senate is refusing to vote on a bipartisan gun control bill supported by the vast majority of Americans; if the Senate won’t do that, don’t expect senators to vote to convict Trump, she said.
ibid

*The idea is often advanced by Impeach Now advocates, that if the House doesn't impeach soon, Trump will brag that they can't impeach him. That theory comes off poorly against reality: he could be bragging about that every day-----yet he never mentions it. So that particular talking point appears to be worthless.

[My emphasis in the first quote.]