View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo6160 View Post
12 hours and they haven't returned to update.

Maybe they burned the house down?

Calling the OP!!! What's crackin'?
Over 24 hours and still no update from the OP, let's hope they figured out the problem and just haven't had the time to post a status report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2844 View Post
Sounds like a short to me. I'd call an electrician. (Also, if you ever hear a "popping" sound when you turn a light switch off or on, it's time to cut off the power and replace it.)
Would it be alright to recount an experience here? Not trying to "highjack" or anything...
We lived in a very old farm house for awhile, and every time there was an electrical storm fireballs would shoot out of the plugs down near the floor. My brother and I would literally jump them as they shot across the floor like mini bowling balls. Then we started going outside to sit in the truck whenever a storm came over, because we figured the rubber tires made it a safer place to be than staying in the house.
I know the wiring must have been bad and it's a wonder the house didn't burn down, but why did the fireballs only come out of the lower outlets instead of all of them?
(I put this in because it looks like a lot of "electricity-minded" people are looking at this thread.)
(bolding mine)

"... fireballs would shoot out of the plugs down near the floor. My brother and I would literally jump them as they shot across the floor like mini bowling balls. ..."

WTF?!
A "fireball" as opposed to a spark? And "shot across the floor like mini bowling balls"?
How far did these 'fireballs' travel away from the wall and can you describe how big they were?

I'm trying to form a 'mental' picture of what you're describing, and what I parse from your description is a small ball of fire travelling a far enough distance from the wall that would require y'all to literally jump over them in order to keep from being struck.

The first thing that jumped up to me was that the house electrical system may not have been properly grounded, or for that matter, not grounded at all.

Personally, I think I would have remained inside, instead of taking shelter in a truck outside of the house, and for more than one reason.
First, I would want to stay inside so that I might be able to extinguish any fires that the 'fireballs' may have started.

Second, (and this is something that I learned right here on the SDMB) vehicles are not as safe a haven, as what is commonly assumed.
(Don't feel bad, I used to think that vehicles were just about as safe a place to be as anything, during a lightning storm.)

There's a thread here on the SDMB that addresses that very issue. I'll try to find it and post a link.
Or maybe a benevolent Mod or Doper will assist us and 'beat me to the draw', so to speak.