View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Closest I've found, after about a minute of Googling: Timeline of How We Got Into Iraq. March 2002: "Cheney tells Republican senators that the question is no longer if the US will invade Iraq but when." Which to me does sound like a "get in line, jagoffs, it's gonna happen", but I don't see any record of what specifically was said or to whom. Still, at least we do have a month and year.
Am I the only one who remembers this line? "You're either with us or against us."

This was the very loud refrain endlessly pushed by the Bush Administration (as shaped by Cheney) after 9/11. As one who questioned whether we had an adequate basis to invade Iraq, I remember very well people stopping just short of accusing me of being a traitor for not supporting the impending invasion. Members of Congress were definitely cowed by such tactics.

One thing I've really hated to see throughout the Trump administration is this sanitizing and normalization of the Bush administration. Suddenly people who tarnished and shamed themselves with their actions during those years -- people like Condi Rice, Andrew Card, John Yoo, Karl Rove, Ari Fleischer, Michael Hayden, Elaine Chao and so many others -- are today accepted as legitimate, normal spokespersons.

Trump is the symptom of disease in our society. The Bush administration caused much of that disease. It's disheartening to me that people have forgotten that.