View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

I will not be supporting Biden in the primaries. [Powers of the President of the Senate]

Note "in the primaries", there: If (as seems likely) he ends up as the Democratic candidate in the general election, then I will without hesitation give him as much support as I am able.

But I don't think he's the candidate we need. We need someone who will fight back against what the Republicans are doing, and I don't think he has it in him to do so. Why do I think this? Because he's already had opportunities to fight against them, and he passed those opportunities up.

Think of all of the perversions of democracy committed by Mitch McConnell, from 2008 to 2016. All of those things, McConnell only had the power to do, because Joe Biden decided to give him the power. Yes, I know that it's traditional for the President of the Senate to delegate those powers to the Senate Majority Leader. Lots of things are traditional, like the Senate holding votes. But the law is that the President Pro Tem presides over the Senate only when the President of the Senate does not.

We don't need a president who will blindly fall back on tradition when it favors the Republicans, while letting them gut tradition when it suits them. We need a president who will fight back just as hard as the Republicans are fighting. And the record shows that Biden would not be that president.

Currently, my support in the primaries is for Warren. That might change. But I don't think it will change to Biden.

Last edited by Bone; 10-07-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Clarified thread title