View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
So what do you think is wrong with American culture that isn't as wrong as, say, Canadian culture? We watch all the same movies and TV shows and whatnot and while we also get the occasional school shooting, it's a a far lower rate, even per capita.

The problem isn't guns at all - they haven't become deadlier in the last fifty years (I suppose manufacturing techniques have improved somewhat, making tolerances tighter and reliability improved), but maybe you just can't have them because you're too stupid/immature to use them wisely and tighter restrictions are necessary on that basis.

It's a hypothesis.
I can only speak for US culture but It seems much different than the 60's and 70's. I would say my parents were probably mature adults at 18 and that number gets pushed higher as time goes by. Obviously the family unit shifted from a 1 income to 2 income environment. Television is far more violent by many factors and video games are amazingly violent. I can remember being shocked at how realistic the blood and gore had gotten on TV and that was in the late 70's.

I'm not going to wax nostalgic but my childhood was much more...... subdued? Simpler? Less violent?