View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
I honestly cannot believe this is a debate we're having. But okay, don't like TVTropes? How 'bout PubMed?
The position you have staked out is utterly foreign to anyone who's done any serious (or even cursory) work in this field. It's an astonishing argument to have and I hope this clarifies that you're not just a little wrong. You're way off in left field.
Actually, thanks to your post, I'm more convinced than previously that you're wrong and I'm right.

First of all, the APA guidelines that you linked to are political propaganda, not science. They make this clear enough starting off with unscientific political claims such as "boys and men, as a group, tend to hold privilege and power based on gender".

The first paper that you link to contradicts your position. It discuss "emotional inexpression" among men involved in medical interviews. It notes that some men have difficulty expressing emotions but most men do not. It discusses differing possible explanations for "normative male alexithymia" (which is basically the theory you and others have been pushing in this thread, that males don't express emotions because they been socialized to conform to a certain gender norm). The paper says that this has been theorized; it hasn't been proven. It discusses different possible explanations for why a subset of men won't express emotions, some biological and some social, without endorsing any particular one.

To state the obvious, declaring that there exists a phenomenon in which a subset of men do not talk about their emotions in one particular setting, does not prove that society overwhelmingly orders all men and boys to avoid expressing emotions.