View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Overall I agree. From my POV as a non-EV owner who'd like one when they're a little better and as a Tesla non-fanboy. A couple thoughts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
and there's no question I'm going to test drive a Model 3 then. I'm not totally sold on it just because I've looked at pictures online, but if I get in it and the build quality is poor, I'm going to look for a competitor that offers better value.
You jumped directly from "build quality" to "value". Those are very different metrics. It's fine to say "I deduct points for crappy build quality." IMO most folks conceive of "value" as price vs. other objective dollar-quantifiable measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
But mostly I'm just miffed that Tesla, which has so much going for it, seems to know how to design a great car, but not know how to build one.
In fairness, jz78817 who does know rather a lot about building cars at scale, has said all along that building modern cars to modern standards is not easy, nor cheap, nor readily scalable down as far as Tesla needs to be today.

The $64B question is whether they can scale up quality and quantity and scale down marginal production cost at a rate that works. Their window of first-mover opportunity is fast closing: the rest of the industry who already knows those aspects cold is about to take that free lunch off the table.

Will the plucky hero snatch sweet victory from the jaws of defeat, or will they be dragon snacks? Stay tuned.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 11-13-2017 at 10:49 AM.