View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
1) The flag doesn't have jack shit to do with the military, any more than it has to do with, say, government statisticians. Eliding kneeling during the national anthem with disrespect for the military is complete and total Fox/Trump bullshit.

2) Kneeling wasn't disrespectful until the right-wing media decided it was so.
Second point first. The protocol for showing respect for the flag and the anthem is to stand and salute if in uniform, to remove your hat and place your hand over your heart if not. Taking a knee is absolutely the opposite of that, intentionally and pointedly so. As hard and often as right-wing media spins, this is one time they didn't need to turn one little bit.

As far as the flag not having "jack shit" to do with the military... It doesn't belong exclusively to the military, no. It is nevertheless a very central part of military culture and if there is any segment of the population that holds the flag most dear, it is the military. It's an integral part of every single ceremony and function we have. It's the symbol of our national ideals, our service, and Reveille and Retreat are daily reminders of all we are there for. As a young airman I was in the Honor Guard for a couple years. I carried a lot of flag-draped coffins, folded a lot of graveside flags and, just once, ended up having to be the person who handed it off to a grieving daughter. It still stands out as one of the most difficult days of my entire life.

While I can't pretend to speak for all the military people out there, I can say that there are a lot of military members who feel that disrespect to the flag and the anthem is a slap in the face. If someone publicly smashed a crucifix every week on TV because they were pissed at the church's scandals, would you expect rank and file Catholics to not feel insulted and angry because it wan't "aimed" at them?