View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Were they insulated tiles? They'll transfer very little heat. Regular tiles are ok, as long as you don't mind cooling the whole thing--but that might be wasteful compared to just cooling the contents.

Gold vs. copper shouldn't make much difference unless you're short of one. I've got two gold volcanoes, and thus a nigh-infinite supply of gold, albeit a very high temperature supply.

I'm still thinking through my next big project. The only issue is that I don't think I can do it without exploits. I want to build a regolith smelter.

There are some parts that I know how to do. I use a glass forge to output glass into the coolant loop of a metal refinery. Yes, the coolant will be liquid glass. From there, it will cycle through the refinery, and then a diamond pit in vacuum. The pit heats up to ~1400 C, which is when regolith melts. It maintains that temperature via cycling the metal refinery, which heats up a batch of glass each time it runs. I drop more regolith into the pit via a conveyor system.

The incoming regolith will be pre-heated via heat exchanger from the outgoing magma. Magma has much higher heat capacity than regolith, so it's easy to heat the incoming stuff with almost no input from the refinery.

The exploity stuff:
- I can't pump magma back out by normal means, since any pump immersed in it will melt. There's a way to position a pump such that it's outside the pumping volume, but still works. It's kinda silly, though.
- The outgoing magma needs to stay liquid in the pipe while it's heating up the incoming regolith. But that will break the pipe. Unless--and this is also silly--the pipe contains <1 kg of liquid. In that case, for some reason liquids can stay liquid even below their melting points. I can use a liquid valve to set a limit here.
- The whole thing needs to take place in a vacuum, but the automation devices require a power input, and this will overheat even thermium buildings eventually. It's possible to position a bit of liquid on the edge of the device to help wick away heat to something that can then carry it away. But again, this is exploity.

I don't mind setups that don't make sense, as long as it seems like the designers intended for it to be that way. But that doesn't feel like it's the case here.
For me that would be too gamey.

I don't recall now, but I think they were regular tiles. It would cool them but it took an exceptionally long time for very little effect. With the new setup, my entire base is very cool. At one point larges parts were getting blue, so I was worried I had gone too far! But it has kind of stablized in a nice yellowish-green (mainly green). I've built two steam turbines with success in this current run! I didn't flood my base with steam this time, so I think I have the transition to steam nailed down. My understanding of how to move energy is complete (?). My next challenge is glass and space exploration! Oh and not staying up until 3 AM playing ONI. That would be a good challenge too.

Have you tried different worlds yet? Have you tried the hardest world?