View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 06:48 PM

It. Just. Keeps. Getting. Worse.

How can people (including some Dopers) be blind to the kind of man who will soon be president?? And act like it doesn't matter??

Quote:
Donald Trump, the all-knowing know-nothing

...Today we stand on the verge of a new presidency, one that has a complex and, to be frank, rather appalling relationship to knowledge and certainty. The implications are deeply troubling.

In Donald Trump, we may never have seen a political figure who more easily blended his own certainty with a contempt for the knowledge of others and the belief that knowledge itself is largely irrelevant to making vital decisions. It may have had a rational basis for a candidate running with zero relevant experience, but throughout the campaign, Trump poured contempt on the idea that knowing about things like policy and how government works might be useful for a president. "I know more about ISIS than the generals do, believe me," he said. He didn't need to seek counsel on foreign affairs because "I have a very good brain and I've said a lot of things." And in an interview on Sunday, he said he isn't bothering to receive daily intelligence briefings like previous presidents did, because "I'm, like, a smart person."

So Trump knows all. Yet at the same time, he tries to convince the public that there's almost no such thing as truth. He lies constantly, of course, dismissing any evidence contrary to the position he's taking at a particular moment as nothing but the product of dishonest media or his partisan opponents. He'll even say something, then tell you he never said it. Simultaneously, he tries to convince the public that we live in a land of the unknowable. ...

Cite