View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Thoughts on re-watching "The Sopranos"

Long story short, I came late to The Sopranos, having watched the pilot and not connecting with it. But once I got on board between seasons 2 and 3 (thanks to a then-new concept called "binge watching"), I was completely enthralled.

Mrs. ToKnow had seen some of the show, but not the whole thing, so we've been celebrating the 20th anniversary by watching it. Most of these episodes I haven't seen in 10 years or so (since I re-bought the DVDs*), and it's been a pretty wild ride. Watching Tony in a coma was particularly hard given James Gandolfini's much too early death.

We're coming up on the hiatus between season 6 parts 1 and 2, and I have to say, I feel like I'm seeing the weaker writing that I heard about but didn't see when it was aired. Season 6 part 1 feels like a composite of every B-story idea they had considered and rejected. I was looking through the remaining episodes and honestly thought to myself, "Okay, let's just get this over with."

Although, I did catch a spectacular little joke I had never noticed before in season 5. One of the first things anyone says about Phil Leotardo is "He's a pimple." Given how his story plays out, that may have replaced Tony's line that Italians are "Jews with better food" as my favorite line of the series.

*The only thing I really felt like the ex-Mrs. ToKnow did out of spite when we split up was to decide the original DVDs were staying with her.