View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I sure do love hearing people who probably pay $150 for cable whine about $6 for hulu.

Once upon a time, there was this service where you could find shows from every network in existence. This service would give you a box which aggregated all of these networks, would let you search for shows you wanted, would let you record those shows for later viewing, and would let you stream many/most of them on-demand.

that service was called "cable."

but now, thanks to smug "cord cutters," the networks realized they could try to get a bigger piece of the pie by pulling their shows back and starting their own streaming services. We should have seen this Balkanization coming a mile away, but apparently not. I just did a quick check, and to cover the major studios and add Sling so I can watch Red Wings games (basically what I can do with cable right now) per month it would cost me $20 less than the TV/movie portion of my cable bill.

Whoop-de-friggin-do.

So before you sit there cackling about people "whining" over "$6/month" from Hulu, just remember these networks aren't making it (initially) cheaper out of the goodness of their hearts. They'll start ratcheting up monthly fees to whenever they see fit. I don't know if it qualifies as "rent seeking" but all I know is they'll get their money out of you one way or another.