View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Are NFL players barred from playing in the XFL?

Obviously I don't expect to see Patrick Mahomes throwing passes for the DC Defenders. But suppose I was a third tier player on an NFL roster, somebody who sits on the bench a lot and makes around $500,000 a year. I'm never going to be a star in the NFL.

But if I'm good enough to play in the NFL, even at this level, I'm a really outstanding football player. Certainly good enough to be a starter in the XFL and maybe even a franchise player. So a XFL team might be willing to pay me $100,000 a year to play with them during the NFL's off season. In addition to the extra money, I might be tempted by the possibility of being a big fish in a small pond rather than a small fish in a big pond.

However, I'm not going to give up my NFL career for the XFL. I want to play in both leagues. Would the NFL allow this? There have been players who played in the NFL and Major-League Baseball so the NFL must not have a "one team only" rule. But do they bar players from playing professional football with another league, even if the schedules don't overlap?

And if my dreams of a dual NFL/XFL career are shattered, how about a CFL/XFL combination?