View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 01:00 PM

I was in the stands at that game, as a Cal student. My friends and I were part of a very large group of Cal fans (maybe the majority among students?) who did not really care much about the football, but went to every home game to enjoy the snacks, sun and substances. Because of the intervening years and maybe the substances, I rarely think about that play or that game, but I can tell you that at the time it was a total blast to be there. None of us were sure what had happened, but we knew it was crazy, and we flooded the field and the streets afterwards in a joyous celebration. It's probably important, too, to understand the bitterness of that rivalry. Even beyond football, Stanford and Stanford students were thoroughly detested by everyone I knew. It was an elite, expensive private school (still is, of course), while Berkeley was public and inexpensive. Even though Berkeley was considered the flagship of the UC system, it was still a UC school, and at that time in-state tuition was only a few hundred dollars a semester, and if you had a certain high school GPA and test scores, you were guaranteed admission to one of the UC schools, and usually your first or second choice. A large proportion of Berkeley students were at Berkeley either because they were rejected at Stanford, or couldn't afford it. Or both. We were all very sure that Berkeley gave the equivalent (or superior) education, but Stanford students absolutely were NOT in agreement with that. They treated us with condescending pity, and we treated them with angry resentment.

So it wasn't just a football rivalry, but a much deeper and wider rivalry. All that made this unusual victory all the sweeter. T-shirts with the play diagrammed on them appeared on campus within a week.