View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
And most people SHOULD use their turn signals, but as my commute each day shows me that isn't the case. Also liberals want people to be responsible too, but we understand that some people can't and also that just because some people won't it doesn't mean that we should just let their kids suffer. That hurts us all, and it isn't the kids' fault what circumstances they are born into. If some number of "unworthy" people get assistance in order for us to make sure we don't have American kids starving, then that's just part of being a society. We have to be careful about the consequences of cutting these programs on our most vulnerable citizens.

It's also a tough pill to swallow when you realize that many people don't give a damn about poor kids and justify it with "well they shouldn't have been born", as if that changes anything.

Is this true though? This is a common refrain from the right, but we did welfare reform already, I thought there already is a limit and the idea of a lifelong welfare leech is not really accurate anymore. Am I understanding incorrectly? Are there statistics that show this to be an increasing problem now? I'd like to see that data if this is such a huge problem in our society rather than just a cudgel being used on the right in order to slash social spending and lower their own taxes regardless of the actual reality of the situation.
I have no studies but the hard thin red line encourages you to stay on whatever assistance you can get instead of working hard (maybe 2 jobs etc) to be above it.
My personal stance is that there should be no cut off for assistance but a sliding scale to promote the person, getting the benefits to go out and find work.

Much like minimum wage, if we are going to have 1, tie it to inflation so we can stop dicking with it ever few years.

I think most people have a disconnect with people on assistance. We think to ourselves, OMG, how effing horrible it would be to be on welfare or SNAP. My anecdotal truth is that it isn't gravy train but it isn't necessarily hard living either (especially if you are living in section 8 housing). They still have cell phones, and cable internet, and food on the table but not vacation getaways and spa treatments.

There are definitely people out there on assistance who do not deserve to be and there are probably people out there not on it, that deserve to be. We are failing, on both ends of that spectrum.

To be honest, I surely do not have all the answers. But the fact as I see it, is that governmental assistance does breed dependence