View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearsen1 View Post
I have no studies but the hard thin red line encourages you to stay on whatever assistance you can get instead of working hard (maybe 2 jobs etc) to be above it.
My personal stance is that there should be no cut off for assistance but a sliding scale to promote the person, getting the benefits to go out and find work.

Much like minimum wage, if we are going to have 1, tie it to inflation so we can stop dicking with it ever few years.

I think most people have a disconnect with people on assistance. We think to ourselves, OMG, how effing horrible it would be to be on welfare or SNAP. My anecdotal truth is that it isn't gravy train but it isn't necessarily hard living either (especially if you are living in section 8 housing). They still have cell phones, and cable internet, and food on the table but not vacation getaways and spa treatments.

There are definitely people out there on assistance who do not deserve to be and there are probably people out there not on it, that deserve to be. We are failing, on both ends of that spectrum.

To be honest, I surely do not have all the answers. But the fact as I see it, is that governmental assistance does breed dependence
I will completely agree that the cliffs that are built into assistance does tend to cause dependance. I have had employees tell me that they can't work more than a certain number of hours, or they will make too much money and lose benefits. They'd like to work more, and I'd like them to work more, but I can't work them enough or pay them enough to make up for the lost benefits.

I lost one employee to disability. She got diagnosed with a degenerative disease while in my employ. She could have worked what she could manage, and wanted to work what she could manage, but if she did, she'd lose all her disability.

Things like education, job training, relocation assistance, childcare, and healthcare are things that make people more productive and allow people to become more independent and less reliant on assistance, but these are all things that are fought against by conservatives.

Give people the assistance to keep them from being held back, and get rid of cliffs in assistance that disincentivize promotion and growth, and we'll solve far more of the poverty problems than just telling them to take responsibility for themselves.