View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
But yes a member of group X can get away with saying things to those of X that those not X cannot. Specific to stereotypical masculine behaviors and expectations even male may not be enough. I, a highly educated liberal who cooks and works with children may not be enough in group to say some things in some ways effectively to some male crowds. If I am to sell them on the concept I need to say it in a way that gets a real conversation going.
I’m seeing more and more men talking about this stuff. Men of all stripes saying that they too were raised to believe and act in certain ways that are pretty crappy when sit back and think about it. They don’t seem to shy away from the term toxic masculinity either. Male posters in this thread are examples. The discourse is hardly dominated by a bunch of liberal gals wagging fingers at misbehaving fellas.

At a certain point, one’s reluctance to add to the discourse in a receptive, constructive way does suggest there is more going on than failure to use just the right words to term the phenomenon of concern. In this very discussion, we’re seeing posters deny that men are even socialized to act differently than women. It should make you wonder: Do these posters genuinely believe that gender stereotypes are not applied to men and don’t affect how they are judged? Or is it more likely that their denials are simply knee jerk reactions to anything that validates the idea that those feminists were right and patriarchy is a problem?

And most importantly, would coining just the perfect replacement term for “toxic masculinity” do anything to change their view? I’m going to say no.

Last edited by you with the face; 05-15-2019 at 06:59 PM.