View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by you with the face View Post
I find that hard to believe. You've never heard someone say insane people don't know right from wrong? What this implies is that crazy people can't be judged as immoral because something in their mind prevents them from making good choices. They see a knife and are uninhibited in picking it up and stabbing someone, because their brain fails to override this impulse. They become convinced God has commanded them to drown their baby and lack the cognitive ability to ignore this order.

Everyone sees reality differently and has different priorities. If that was enough to make someone crazy, we'd all need to be committed.
There's a huge difference between not knowing right from wrong and being incapable of freely choosing between options based on your blue and orange morality. I mean, you say it yourself - it's not knowing right from wrong - it's a knowledge and awareness issue. There have been many times where I didn't know right from wrong and made choices - and then somebody angrily told me what they thought was right and wrong. The crazy people you're talking about just aren't cognitively capable of comprehending and incorporating an understanding of objective reality into their decision-making process.

And most of the people I know claim that their God has commanded them to do things, and "lack the cognitive ability" to ignore the orders. If that's a benchmark for being too crazy to have free will, then I'm not sure I know many sane people.

Quote:
If choosing to eat vanilla instead of chocolate ice cream is as much of an exercise of "free will" as choosing to do anything under the threat of murder, then its a meaningless concept and a rather shallow philosophical exercise to talk about it.
Whether a subject is worthy of discussion is a value judgement, and I don't agree with you. Discussing free will is fun.

And "free will" is not the same thing as "is fortunate enough to always have only pleasant options to choose between".

Quote:
By the way, all I did was google free will and insanity and I found this PubMed abstract: Free will, neuroscience, and choice: towards a decisional capacity model for insanity defense evaluations.
Mm-hmm. I'm already talking to a few people with odd definitions of free will in this very thread. Am I to be disturbed by a summary that implies somebody else is trying (explicitly!) to redefine the term to mean something different?