View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Just want to chime in and say that I concur with monstro 100%, but don't think I have much to add that hasn't been said already. But I will note, in response to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
So the debate is:
science hasn't proven the existence/mechanism of free will VS it sure seems like we have FW, yet current science is unable to explain it.

. . . that more and more science comes out challenging the idea of free will/choice every day. We witness and understand environmental pressures having predictable outcomes on decision making all the time. The trajectory of the research is that free will is non-existent, yet we continue as a society to fight for policy decisions that ignore this; that sacrifice people/populations at the feet of the god of Free Will.

I'll conclude by saying, I'm going to click the "Post Quick Reply" button. Sometimes I type something and don't. But I choose to today. But maybe it's because I got enough sleep last night. Or maybe what I ate for breakfast. Or that I just scratched my ear and got distracted by the cat. Or maybe the fact that I had a decent childhood. Or maybe my particular balance of hormones combined with my height and weight.

Or, truly, it's a combination of all of those factors, plus an infinite number of others, all influencing what I do in this moment. Clicking the button. Or not. Now I'm feeling like maybe this is nonsense and I shouldn't share it. But I didn't choose to feel that. Will that feeling override my desire to participate in the conversation? I don't know, but I do know that the "choice" I'm about to make is about a chemical assessment of feelings/motivators I'm experiencing; my choice will be directly because of those things, and not in spite of them, or outside of them.