View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Once I went to a concert because my cousin was playing. I didn't see a piano, and I hadn't got a program when I went in, so I asked the lady [sic!] next to me if I could have a look at her program, just to get an idea when my cuz might be coming on. She said: "I don't have a program. I know what I'm listening to."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Sounds like someone who knew the music, but had never felt the music, and so she was insecure for knowing, deep down, she never groked the music. Let's give her points for trying, but she still fails.
Geez, guys, maybe she did in fact know the music, and therefore just didn't bother to get a program!

I'd like to say that I have an idea why classical music is not so popular anymore, but it would be mere conjecture. I do know that in the prime's of people like Leopold Stokowski and even Leonard Bernstein, you could come across it being played on the radio, if even accidentally. Are kids still forced to take piano or violin? I was introduced to the concept of classical music thru the Peanuts, specifically Schroeder's love of Beethoven. Wasn't exactly who Beethoven was back then, but I knew he was someone adults probably liked. Anything then that was "adult" seemed appealing to me, so I checked out a Beethoven album from the library. Listened to it once and took it back, but at least I had an inkling what it was all about...