View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 04:32 PM

Thanks, everyone. As, basically, a sports-ignoramus, I feel complimented / overwhelmed by all the responses; with the mass of info, bringing in assorted factors. At all events, I now know that the South doesn't in any way boycott or eschew baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
So far as I know, there's never, ever been a stigma with baseball being a "Yankee" sport. In comparison, consider that Japanese sportsmen did not drop baseball circa the late 1940s despite it being one of the most popular sports of their fiercest WWII adversary.
Ah, yes -- "beisoboru", don't those chaps call it? Something of a parallel -- I gather that Cuba was baseball-mad pre-1959, and has remained so, despite the country's relations with the US having been, shall we say, sub-optimal for the past sixty years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post
Plus, I wonder how relevant weather was? It would be pretty hot sitting out in the sun in summer in the Good Old Days, worse in the south. Many teams now feature indoor venues with air conditioning.
I can see the point here -- have never been to the US at all, but do get the picture that the climate of the country's south-east can be a trial to those who didn't grow up there -- and sometimes, to them too. Cuba again: I understand that there, and in the equally baseball-crazy Dominican Republic, there is great following of the game, and huge live audiences; and it's envisageably yet hotter there, than in the US South. One takes it that those Cubans and Dominicans are tough cookies...

The Harry Turtledove stuff -- I know (I think !) that it is only fiction, but I'm a fan. Picture is got that in that "universe", it's not only the Confederacy which doesn't "do" baseball -- same goes (without political / nationalistic factors) for nearly all of said "universe" 's United States: most of the northern "tier", the Midwest, the South-West, and California -- baseball is just not on the radar of people there, they're interested in football only: baseball is a strange and highly-localised thing, peculiar to New England and, I take it, New York State, where Abner Doubleday was born.

Re Turtledove's narrative: one takes it that Doubleday, born in 1819, must have been there as himself, in that "universe" -- giving rise to hypothesis that after things there start to go down the pan for the States as one united country, w.e.f. Sept. 10th 1862, the "point of divergence" (when a vital Confederate document which in "our time line" was lost and fell into Union hands; isn't lost, so that the South wins the battle of Antietam -- and wins the decisive battle, and the war, three weeks later) -- Doubleday gets killed in those last few weeks of the war, so never gets the chance to popularise baseball in the Union army.