View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 12:02 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
Takes no meds other than an anti-depressant and Aricept. She is gleefully incontinent.
I would definitely look into additional meds. My mother has had dementia for about the last seven years. About four years ago she began to get seriously mean and disturbed. If you contradicted her or tried to get her to do something she didn't want to do, she would physically attack you. She tried to scratch me, and tried to hit my sister with her cane. She hallucinated hearing babies crying, and if you refused to help them, she would accuse you of being in on the conspiracy to kill them.

We got her doctor to adjust her meds, and she calmed down. She still hears the babies sometimes, but if you tell her they're alright, she lets it drop. I assume you have a medical proxy and can make decisions for her?

We were fortunate enough to be able to get 24-hour care for her at home. (She's the only one who lives there, besides her aides when they are on duty, although a friend of the family lives in the downstairs apartment of the house.) Although she can walk, at this point she rarely gets out of bed.