View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 02:44 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
In most areas at least, Medicaid will pick up nursing home expenses after the patients assets are completely depleted. But you have to apply and itís complicated. And expensive, although in our case the attorney fees came out of money that would have otherwise ended up with the nursing home.
We were originally paying for my mother's caretakers directly, using her retirement income (Social Security and pensions). Once she needed 24-hour care, it began to deplete her savings rapidly, and once those were gone it would have bankrupted us (or at least have caused very serious financial problems) if we had had to pay for it ourselves.

Fortunately my brother hired a lawyer and we were able to get her on Medicaid, although it took a long time. We were lucky to be able to get her 24-hour home care. But basically she can't have more than very limited assets, and most of whatever retirement income she has is taken by Medicaid.

Quote:
You should definitely consult with an attorney before you start selling off large assets, such as her house, to pay the nursing home bills. Because you may not have to. Medicaid may lien it and try to take it after she passes to reimburse themselves, but the additional ownership time increases the value and works in your favor. And the asset forfeiture laws may even change before her death.
My mother had the foresight to realize this before she began to decline, and had a lawyer create a family trust to which she transferred the title. Her six children are the official owners, but she is allowed to live there until her death. If we sell the house, we'll split the proceeds. But you have to do it well in advance, since there is a "look-back" time when they are checking for assets.