View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 07:33 AM
I was curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz
You're speaking with the benefit of hindsight and perfect knowledge. Partner might have been void in Hearts and West might have had 6.
Exactly - partner knows you are long in hearts, so they are the one who needs to decide whether to increase the sacrifice, based on their values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz
Something similar happened to me the other night. RHO opened 1H (showing 5) and I held H AKxxxx and opening points. With no other biddable suit, I passed! The hand was a complete misfit and one of those cases where the last to bid is the loser. Partner had 6 or 7 diamonds headed by the QJ and I had a singleton.
Had opener's partner bid (say) 1S, your partner passed, and opener bid 2H, would your system then allow you to double for penalties? I would normally play that the first (non-pass) bid by a partnership is always double for take-out, but in this particular case I think it would be obvious (if partner is paying attention) that the double must be for penalties, as if for take-out you would have done it the first time. On the other hand, the double might alert the opponents to where all the values are, which could help them in the play. What do you think?

I realise I am in way over my head in terms of expertise in this thread, but if any kind soul would care to briefly critique my earlier post, I'd be very grateful.