View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
But that gets at what I’m asking, in all sincerity: the word ‘felon’ describes a group of people; is it a slur if they “take umbrage” to that? The word ‘trespasser’ describes a group of people; is it a slur if it’s met with umbrage?
Yes, I suppose it can if the word becomes frequently associated with reference to specific types of people. Take the word "thug," for example. A generation or two ago, a thug referred to a violent person or a criminal generally. However, in today's context, particularly when speaking in reference to a black person, it can just as easily be understood to refer to a violent black criminal, or a more socially acceptable way of using the n-word.

The real point you're refusing to acknowledge is that words have denotative meanings and connotative meanings. Words are attempts to describe thoughts and ideas. In communication, it's thoughts and ideas first, and words second, not the other way around. Words frequently fail to describe ideas, feelings, and thoughts with precision, which is why how words are intended and also interpreted depends a LOT on the context. Words can have more than one definition, and Webster's isn't necessarily the last word on what a word means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
If so, then, sure, I guess I’m fine with using such slurs. If your two-part test is the one we’re to apply, then as far as I know I’m already making regular use of slurs. Heck, maybe I can meet something with umbrage and jab an accusatory finger at a slurrer, if they so describe me and I then, uh, “take umbrage”?
That's right, show everyone reading this that rather than showing a willingness to try to understand why people might be offended, you just don't give a shit. Racism isn't your problem, I guess.