View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
I also wanted to add that I have chosen to play the B7 by barring at the 4th fret and putting one finger on the 1st string at the 5th fret. Sure is a lot easier that way, and makes me want to ask you, is it possible to just bar everything?

Thanks

Q
With all the various ways to voice and finger chords, I am sure the answer is yes. I play a B your way when I am bulling through Hey Hey by Big Bill Broonzy, a fun E shuffle.

Nars, squeegee is right. Let us know if you have any questions...

As for me, I remain focused on acoustic. Small-bodied Martins like Model 0 and 00 have extra-wide necks - between normal and classical - to provide better string spread for finger-picky stuff. I don't fingerpick patterns - well, except Dust in the Wind - but I have wanted to expand my technique to include fingerstyle- where I put the pick down and use my fingers, but not in a set way - just kinda throw them out there. Jeff Beck and Mark Knopfler both play this way, but obviously very, very differently.

So I have one of those wide-necked Martins and am hacking away - and starting to actually sound fluid. It's fun - and these little guitars are typically only 12 frets clear of the body - vs 14 normally on acoustics - so the bridge is on a different spot on the top and provides a different tone. It's really rich - having fun.

Last edited by WordMan; 02-11-2013 at 04:07 PM.