View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Possibly so, but either way, you had people of Mexican heritage (if not Mexican expatriates) who were operating restaurants in which they were cooking dishes from their heritage. Since it sounds like there aren't many people in Spain of Mexican descent, it seems like that source of Mexican cuisine knowledge is missing.
Quite. In Spain we DO have strong influence from the Americas, but it's part of Spanish cuisine. When my 9th-grade class was informed (Biology lessons) that tomato came from America...

...there was a moment of silence...

...of very heavy silence...

...and then one of us exclaimed "oh my God, what did we eat before!?"

I still don't know how come more women weren't like the ladies of the courts of the Goth kings before chocolate was available. Let me put it this way: that Cersei is a wuss.

In general, there has been very few people of Indoamerican descent in Spain until very recently (late 1990s, early 2000s); those who were, were mostly mestizos who'd returned from America with their born-in-the-Peninsula father, and weren't visible within a generation. Criollos mixed in even faster. Those ingredients which travelled well with pre-20th century methods or which could easily be grown here, had become incorporated into our own recipes.

Another factor is that in Spain it's relatively rare for restaurants to country-specialize. Yes, there are "Chinese" and "Italian" restaurants, but:
either one is perfectly capable of serving paella (rice is rice is rice...) or its sister fideuá (noodles are noodles are noodles...)
an Italian doesn't have any dishes you can't find in a non-Italian restaurant
a Chinese may involve a lot of... peanut sauce? ( only if you know that smells of parts further south)
and many restaurants whose menu is pretty "ethnic" because so is the cook is likely to simply call itself a restaurant. A lot of the bars and restaurants taken over by immigrants in recent decades have simply kept the old name and decoration: so long as it was called Casa Paco (Chez Paco) and not La Casa del Marisco (The Home of Shellfish), it's as perfectly normal for it to serve ceviche, huevos rancheros and pico de gallo as it is for it to have ensalada de la casa, sopa de lentejas and alubias con todos los sacramentos.

DrDeth, what most people call patatas bravas... well. It's pretty watered-down. I've even encountered people who called "brava" a sauce which was a mixture of pot-mayo and ketchup. I happened to be part of the first taste-test group (they were invented by a bar-owner in my hometown in the summer of 1984); while they certainly wouldn't be considered extremely spicy by any mexican, they were a lot zingier than most of what people serve.

Last edited by Nava; 08-06-2019 at 02:01 AM.