View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 12:04 PM

Steophan, I don't know how SWAT equivalent works in the UK, but SWAT does not knock and announce BEFORE entering a home (also, there may have been uniformed deputies on-site, but they wouldn't be the ones to breach the house). Someone might or might not whisper "police", or even say it in a normal tone of voice as they're breaching a structure, but that's if they care at all about whether it's a no-knock warrant. You've been watching too much television, perhaps (unfortunately, television is from where most people learn about the law and so many other things). Whether the action is being filmed by the unit or beknownst to the unit will also affect decisions on protocol.

"Steophan: "It wasn't a no-knock warrant, and the police announced themselves."

Under the circumstances, I'd rather you say "according to the police department, [SWAT] announced themselves." It's best to be more circumspect.

"If the warrant isn't valid, sue them and live comfortably for the rest of my life."

This is yet another item that leads me to believe that you're not well-informed about how the law works, particularly insofar as law enforcement actions are concerned. Most people make declarations based on what they're convinced they know, or at least how things should be, and that's unfortunately normal.*

A warrant not being "valid" (whatever that means to you) doesn't give rise to a viable lawsuit ... not in the legal system as is. If SWAT is called to your home in the U.S. based on bogus or unreliable information due to the fact that law enforcement chose not to actually commence an investigation, a person will learn the hard way that they have no legal obligation to investigate (they are free, as here, to act on assertions of someone the police had arrested a few hours before for stealing from the person who would up dead). Of course, if such an assertion were made by a meth addict who'd stolen a prosecutor, judge or cop's SUV or broken into such a person's house, you can bet your ass that no one would sign off on a raid.

So whatever dreams one may have of "liv[ing] comfortably for the rest of [his/her] life", please understand that the person'd be better off spending a lot of dough on buying lottery tickets.

* On another board, some dude who just got fired in Texas was railing on about his rights to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" which, I gather to him, also meant that his employer wasn't entitled to fire him based on "right to work". He didn't understand that this meant he couldn't be forced to join a union, not that he had some constitutional right to a job. He, like most Americans, don't understand that the Declaration of Independence from England was one thing, and the Constitution quite another.