View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
<snip>
Recently seen: Leon: The Professional
At Malthus's urging, I saw the international version. It was pretty good - a hitman shoot-'em-up with a heart. Both Jean Reno and a young Natalie Portman are excellent in their roles; Gary Oldman was a bit too over-the-top as the villainous DEA agent, though.
<snip>
Please excuse me for offering an opinion about Leon: The Professional that is a little different than yours.

I think it was a much better film than just "pretty good". My opinion may not be extremely different than yours. But I really liked this film because it pulled me in and would not let me go until the film was over.

There were many human traits that were revealed in a silent kind of way.

Most of my opinion stems from the fact this was Natalie Portman's first full-length motion picture. She first captured my attention in the film "Beautiful Girls" (1996) in which I thought she did an amazing job. She was supposedly 14 years old in that film (I think, although she was really 15). She portrayed a young woman who was very hot and desirable - even though she was only 14. But I'm not a pedophile and so I had to keep my desire in my pants.

In Leon: The Professional, she was portrayed as being a little older and so I figured it was acceptable to make my feelings of desire more evident.

In short, I think she can project a highly desirable young woman and the attraction or lack of attraction was not presented in an overt fashion. But Leon clearly had to pay attention to her.

But besides that, there were many other facts in the plot of this film that were done really well by the film makers.

This film was rated 8.6 by IMDB. For those of you who know how IMDB gives out those ratings to movies and the range these ratings usually take, that is an astounding rating. It's in the same league as films like "The Godfather" and "Shawshank Redemption" and other films you might know.

In summary, Leon: the Professional, is an excellent film with a jaw-dropping rating. If you try it out, my guess is that you would not be disappointed.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 09-03-2015 at 03:00 PM.