View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 01:40 PM

I've read / heard many interviews and quotes from the band and as mentioned before, it's about the inescapable heaven/hell life that is fame and the music industry in L.A.
The "steely knives" line is a private joke between the Eagles and Steely Dan - I don't remember the exact origins; maybe something about one's album beating the others in the charts or something. Also, I seem to recall that one of the "secret" scratchings they used to put on their vinyl was a message to SD. You all probably know that "colitas" is a reference to plants (Henley says they're plants that grow in the desert but Ima gonna say it refers to pot). My friends and I used to giggle at the thought of the "warms smell of COLITIS rising up through the air" I
The album cover (damn, I miss album covers)definitely lends a creepy air and falls in with the the haunted hotel story. I remember spending hours pouring over the inner fold photo trying to make out the supposed figure of "the beast".

"The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" used to wig me out and fascinate me at the same time. The line "he saw Andy lying on the floor in a puddle of blood" really made my skin crawl.