View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 02:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Assuming this makes it all the way to the top, this challenge to Roe is way premature. Conservatives hold only a 5-4 majority on SCOTUS and Roberts likes to vote with the liberals here and there. Very likely, this would be struck down and the Court would further affirm and solidify Roe. Conservatives shouldn't be doing this unless they have a 6-3 or 7-2 majority.
Speaking as a former pro-lifer, I think it's put up or shut up time. Forty years is a long time to be sacrificing everything for a cause and failing.

The GOP and the Federalist Society can either overturn Roe, which will weaken the part of their coalition that thought abortion would still be there for them; or they can reveal that they're just playing the churchgoing rubes. Either way, the Reagan-Bush GOP coalition loses somebody.

I have a pretty good idea who is supposed to step in to replace the lost voters. I'm not sure which existing camp the GOP are cutting out in favor of the new race realist / neo-fascist constituency, but it may not matter. Get yourself enough stormtroopers, and you don't need a majority anymore.