View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 04:46 AM

As for the OP...

It's worth noting that RealClearPolitics is not exactly a "middle-of-the-road" rag. They're pretty firmly conservative - better than Fox News, but you're going to end up with framing like this, as though "feminist" and "conservative" are mutually exclusive and WoLF is a legitimate feminist group. Both of those things cannot be true, given that WoLF is a conservative astroturf (or should I say AstroTERF, ha ha) organization bankrolled by conservative groups that exists solely to attack LGBT rights. In fact, many such TERF individuals and groups are explicitly being bankrolled by homophobic and transphobic conservative groups - here's the Heritage Foundation hosting a panel of them.

Needless to say, I think the whole lot of them are both terrible feminists (and, more generally, terrible human beings). When you hate trans people so much you'll ally yourself with the fucking Heritage Foundation, you are not a feminist. You're a bigoted fuckstick who doesn't give two shits about women's rights, otherwise you wouldn't be allying yourself with a group that opposes women's rights at every fucking turn.

This isn't some great divide. There's a handful of astroturfed groups that the religious right is propping up to push back against LGBT rights. It's just become clear that "gay people are sinful" isn't going to cut it, so instead they're smuggling their bigoted rhetoric in under the guise of radical feminism, using Trans rights as the thin edge of the wedge. Because, as it turns out, once you start acceping anti-trans rhetoric, you tend to allow in premises that are easily used against the rest of the LGBT spectrum.

Quote:
Bigots are trying to stir up hatred of trans people as part of a wedge strategy to roll back equal rights for everybody. Scratch the surface of an anti-trans bill and you’ve usually got an anti-gay, anti-women bill that’s designed to take everybody way back in time. For example, in the US, new protections will enable religious people to refuse to treat trans people. We’re not talking orchiectomies and vaginoplasty here. We’re talking basic medicine. First aid after car crashes. Broken legs. Cancer treatment. But trans people are just the headline. Dig a little deeper and -– surprise – they don’t want to treat the gays or women either.
Bolding mine.

There's no divide here. These aren't "different groups coming together to oppose a bill". It's conservative transphobic bigots allying with and bankrolling other conservative transphobic bigots to make their conservative transphobic bigotry look less conservative and bigoted. But make no mistake - it is both conservative and bigoted.

Like, let's be clear here.

Here's a line from the article the OP links:

Quote:
Under this bill, men and boys will take away women’s small business grants and hard-won spots on sports teams; they will be allowed to live in women’s domestic violence shelters and use our locker rooms.
What the author is telling us here is that transwomen are men.

Pull this kind of transphobic, bigoted bullshit here, and from what I've seen you'll eat a well-deserved warning and thread ban.

The whole article is pretty much just this kind of disgusting transphobic horseshit from top to bottom. I'm kind of curious what Velocity wanted to achieve by posting it. Dude, did you not read past the headline? Or do you actually agree with this lukewarm gorilla shit?

Oh, and they're lying about Colleen Francis, as if this wasn't disgusting enough as it is.

Quote:
What if I were to tell you that, unlike the mountains of reports citing Fox News, the ex-gay advocacy group (oh, did I fail to mention – just like the news reports did – that the Alliance Defending Freedom for Faith and Justice is an ex-gay group?), and the police report, I called the college, got the facts and learned that the facts don’t exactly match up with the myth of the now infamous Evergreen State College incident?

Here’s the nugget of truth to the story: two teens did claim to see Colleen Francis nude while in the Evergreen College sauna.

Here’s what may not have not heard:
  • The sauna area was off limits to the two teens.
  • Unless one specifically tries to see inside the sauna, you can’t view the people inside the sauna.
  • Colleen Francis AND her cisgender female friend were using the sauna together. They were sitting there talking.
  • At no point did Francis act to expose herself to children.
  • At no point was Francis walking around nude in the area where children were.
So, the actual story is that two 17-year-olds went into an area they weren’t allowed, attempted to view the people in the sauna and saw Francis. The rest of what you’ve probably heard about this incident is, at this point, an urban myth.
Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists are better described as Feminism-Appropriating Reactionary Transphobes. The acronym fits their general demeanor and attitude better, too.

"Baptists and Bootleggers". Penny Nance's previous article on RealClearPolitics is "When Will the Rising Tide of Bias Against Christians Stop?" which is exactly the kind of insipid "WAAAH PEOPLE ARE MEAN TO ME BECAUSE I'M A HOMOPHOBIC BIGOT" whining you'd expect given the title. Natasha Chart writes for the fucking Federalist. Really just Baptists and more Baptists.