View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
We're talking about a situation where there's no requirement to demonstrate that your claim is genuine (such as with a doctor's letter or anything else). Whether or not this is an accurate description of the proposed statute, I wouldn't know. But in any case, nobody arguing in favor of transwomen in this thread has so far stated "but of course, there should be/there would be this or that requirement", which would have been an obvious rebuttal of the statements made in the article linked to as well as of many of my objections and examples. I see no evidence that anybody on this side of the debate in this thread doesn't think that a statement to the effect that you self-identify as a woman should be sufficient, should go undisputed, and should allow to be recognized as a woman in all circumstances.
The circumstances you're worried about are so rare that they shouldn't require a hard and fast rule for everyone. Sports might be a separate issue -- but we already do tons of testing in sports for drugs and such; testing for hormones or other issues related to ensuring fair competition are reasonable to discuss but separate of the issue of whether trans people should be treated with dignity and respect in every-day scenarios (i.e. using a public restroom).

If someone is really concerned about someone else in the bathroom, they can call the authorities. We don't need some special rule for bathrooms and locker rooms without a solid reason to believe that abuse (i.e. lewdness/perversion/assault) is occurring more frequently.