View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
So what? What relevance does that have to mass shooters? 25% of Canadian households own a gun compared to 45% of American households. Yet Canada's mass shooting rate isn't 60% as high as America's mass shooting rate. Who cares about number of guns? It's about access. If someone wanted to go on a shooting spree with a shotgun in Canada it would be very achievable.

Are you trying to make some sort of nonsensical argument that 1 gun per person leads to a lot of mass shootings, but less than 1 gun per person leads to practically zero?

There are so many nonsensical arguments about this sort of thing. When comparing to Switzerland, people note that military aged males have a real-deal assault rifle, not some looks-like-a-military-weapon-but-doesn't-function-like-one "assault weapon" - when asked why they aren't committing mass shootings, someone honestly said "well because their ammo is sealed and they have to account for it" - uh, what? Someone deciding to go on a big spree killing feels bound not to break the plastic seal on his ammunition?

Just nonsensical special pleading. Civilian gun ownership is not a uniquely American thing. Glorifying and giving incredible amounts of media attention to spree killers is. It correlates much more highly to the specific scenarios we're talking about than does gun ownership in general.
I can assure you, having spent half my live living in Canada, that availability of guns, ability to get a gun of the type commonly available in the US, lack of gun lobby influencing gun laws in Canada, lack of gun industry influencing marketing and sales of guns in Canada, general attitude of Canadians with respect to guns, all play a huge roll in public attitudes about guns and their utility/acceptability with respect to settling personal problems and social grievances.

I'm not looking to convince you of these factors and considerations. You don't strike me as someone that can be convinced of anything you don't already 'know'.