View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Of course. However the whole thing becomes a pretense when you say ďThis is a list of characters who could never be played by an actor who is X,Y, or Z category because of all these other decisions Iíve made about the piece that are really, seriously set in stone because I say so. Itís just an unavoidable reality that X, Y, and Z category actors are unsuited for a vast majority of roles, especially leading ones. Nothing can be done about it.Ē
Yup. As I said, it's especially cool watching people make NEW choices, especially when it opens things up.

When someone decides to make the old, cliched choice--"ooh, ooh, I know, I'll write a fantasy story starring all-white characters and set it in an analogue of medieval Europe!"--I don't get that excited. When they make choice that close things off--"ooh, ooh, I know, I'll tell a story about samurai, only instead of a Japanese protagonist I'll have a white dude as the protagonist!"--I don't get that excited.

Artists get to make choices, absolutely. But ferchrissakes, make those choices interesting; and if you work in a racist system like Hollywood, be aware of how your decisions affect the lives of actual workers in that system.