View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Because he's the only one with a shot who doesn't threaten to take people's private insurance away. He's relatable, a guy who has overcome more than his share of personal strategy and had the common touch of riding the train to DC every day while in the Senate. He doesn't scare the piss out of the blue collar workers, is beloved by blacks, and was one of the first to endorse same sex marriage. Let's cut the bullshit now and nominate him.
Wesley Clark has already addressed the massive generational gap in his black support. And also, he wasn't "one of the first" to endorse same sex marriage, though to his credit he did so in 2012, a year ahead of Obama and HRC.

Bernie Sanders formally came out for SSM in 2009, but had a long record of supporting LGBT issues, including voting against the shameful Defense of Marriage Act in 1996. Joe Biden voted for that bill.

Warren says she can't remember a time when she didn't support SSM, though in a hasty Google search the earliest I can find her going on the record was 2011, when she first started running for the Senate.

I couldn't easily find a cite for Pete Buttigieg's first public statement on the issue, but I'm just gonna go out on a limb and guess he was probably pro-SSM before Biden was, too.

Not that I think this should be a crucial factor in deciding anyone's vote, but it's factually true that Biden was not in the forefront on that issue.

Last edited by Thing Fish; 12-16-2019 at 04:44 PM.