View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 10:00 PM

The bottom line reason for why it's politically impossible to ignore the referendum result or have a second referendum is that there is an immovable anti-EU base in the UK, but there is no equivalent pro-EU base that is quite as stubborn. It's a bit more complicated than that but that's the gist.

Brexit happens to be an issue that divides both the Tory and Labour parties, which essentially means voters can either demand an acceptable outcome as a prerequisite for party loyalty, or can choose to vote for their preferred party regardless of the issue. If you had a pro-leave Conservative party and a pro-remain Labor party, there would be a significant chunk of supporters of both parties whose Brexit stance was not represented by their party, and the same would be true in the reverse. The reason this isn't happening is that since the referendum, leave supporters feel emboldened to apply a brexit purity test to politicians, whereas remain supporters mostly say "well I don't want to leave, but if I don't vote Labour we're going to end up with cuts to social services/if I don't vote Tory we're going to get our taxes raised".

This really is a great example why holding a referendum to try to appease a hardline base is a terrible idea, because the hardliners are the ones that are going to hold your feet to the fire if they get their desired result. It also shows that there are cases where it actually does make sense to be a single-issue voter or be willing to vote for a spoiler candidate over a divisive issue. Of course in the case of Brexit, there is another layer to this, which is that 1 month is not nearly enough time for a spoiler faction to compel either of the major parties to go back to taking a remain position hold a second referendum.