View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I don't have any personal objections to the scene. I'm just saying that thinking it was ham-handed or otherwise didn't work for you doesn't mean that you "Didn't get it".

It's a movie. More specifically, it's a superhero action movie. Everything is set up for a reaction or Rule of Cool. It's not as though Marvel's race with the gauntlet was derived from some academic assessment of her powers, it was "what's going to look cool and get a desired reaction?" If it failed to get that reaction from you, it's not a failing or misunderstanding on your part, it just didn't work for you.

I stand corrected on the mooks; I thought she got knocked off course or something there but I could very well be in error with my remembering.
I was referring to bucketybuck's objection that the female heroes were irrelevant because Marvel didn't need help blowing through 10,000 stooges on her way to the portal, and wondering if that was really the crux of bucketybuck's criticism. Clearly, a scene will either work for you or won't; I found Thor's scenes on Asgard to be pretty cringey up until his joy/relief at getting Mjolnir back. I think that my dislike was a tonal one; Thor's anxiety and depression are played for laughs rather than taken seriously. Change that tone, and I would not have pulled up short. So I'm idly wondering whether changing Parker's line would have solved bucketybucks precipitation of disbelief, or whether it was the women all physically converging at one time that was the problem.