View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
You know very well that the 'Obama is a Muslim' chant started in the Hillary campaign. And she didn't stand up against it, she left that to McCain, Obama's opponent in the general election. And it was the precursor of Birtherism because Hillary did the GOP and alt-right's marketing research for them.
No, that is well known incorrect information pushed by right wing sources of information:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...lary-clinton-/
Quote:
The website promoted the theory with an email that read, "Obama May Be Illegal to Be Elected President," as Daily Beast editor John Avlon has documented.

According to Avlon, Linda Starr, a Clinton volunteer in Texas, was key to spreading the rumor. She connected with with Philip Berger, an attorney and Clinton supporter, who sued to block Obamaís nomination. The suit was thrown out.

But this is not the same thing as Clinton or her campaign promoting the theory. There is no evidence that they ever have done so. Clinton has dismissed the allegation when Trump made his accusation last September in an interview with CNNís Don Lemon.

"That is ó no. That is so ludicrous, Don. You know, honestly, I just believe that, first of all, itís totally untrue, and secondly, you know, the president and I have never had any kind of confrontation like that," Clinton said. "You know, I have been blamed for nearly everything, that was a new one to me."

(Another thing to note: Clinton volunteers forwarded emails promoting the myth that Obama is a Muslim. As we have previously reported, both resigned from the campaign after they were found to have spread the rumor. The Clinton campaign condemned their actions and said it was unauthorized.)

Our ruling

Trump said, "Hillary Clinton and her campaign of 2008 started the birther controversy."

There is no evidence to support this. Clinton supporters circulated the rumor in the last days of the 2008 Democratic primary and after Clinton had conceded to Obama. But the record does not show Clinton or her campaign ever promoting the birther theory, let alone starting it.

We rate Trumpís claim False.