View Single Post
Old 05-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
Those inconveniences (marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc) are the same for a passport. I thought we were complaining about needing to show proof of address? You almost had me convinced that this was the real argument. Now you're saying that we shouldn't require people to prove who they are at all. That seems like the bare minimum requirement for issuing identification--verifying identity.
If you want to use your driver's license as a Federal ID card, then you need to establish who you are, under the same scrutiny as a passport requires.
If you don't want to use it in that manner, then you don't need to get the RealID. Just tell your state you don't want a RealID and get the license without the star. But don't complain that the federal government doesn't accept it.
I don't have a problem with the idea of verifying identity. I have a problem with the statement that it's a "minimal inconvenience" to get the documents required for a real ID/passport when until fairly recently , many people didn't need such IDs. Even now, there are people who don't need them - until they do. And there they are at 60 or 70 trying to locate birth certificates and marriage certificates and divorce decrees from decades ago. I'm not saying it's impossible- but it can be too time-consuming and expensive to be fairly described as a "minimal inconvenience."