View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Well, the CDC says that seat belt laws accelerated seat belt use.

I don't know what you think you're proving with this statement. That society will accommodate 14% of its people acting completely recklessly? Well, sure. But the CDC also says that smoking bans reduce smoking rates.

I welcome your cites that contradict the CDC.
Most statists assume that force must be used to compel widespread behavior changes. My point is that people will change behaviors all by themselves if they're convinced to do so through valid reason and evidence. My cite is most of human history. Laws, where they exist, are lagging indicators of social change, not leading. Most people change their minds and behaviors first, and then pass laws to mandate those changes to the remaining stragglers.

If you can't convince people to change, it's probably not the best idea after all, and you should reexamine the logic and evidence used. If you can convince most people, but a few stubborn holdouts refuse to change for their own good, that's their business, not yours.

Governments and their goon squads are not required for social progress. Yes, they might accelerate it in some instances. So what? That doesn't outweigh the downsides.

Last edited by DrCube; 06-04-2019 at 04:19 PM.