View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
I'm also not sure why accounting is considered more practical than figuring out how much butter you'll need (and whether you need to buy more) when you have a cake recipe for a 13"x9" pan, but all you have are 8" round cake pans (because your 13"x9" is where you're cooking the lasagna - speaking of which, two of your guests are vegans, so how do you change this entree that serves 6 into an entree that serves 4? and what time does it need to go into the oven so that everything is ready to eat at the same time since they all have different baking and resting times?)
I think it's hilarious that this is presented as multiple math problems. You don't have to change the cake recipe, you just eyeball your pans and cook it for less time. There's no reason to make less food because you just eat the leftovers - better use of your time to make more food than make less. The only math problem here (barely) is baking everything to finish at the same time, except, in normal cooking, you would never need to the cake and lasagne near one another in preparation in the first place. The cake is done well in advance. Sounds more like you listed a bunch of life skills (learn how to be flexible in cooking, budget your time wisely, and proper task management) than actual math. Moving on, though...

We had 3 years of required math. Even though I learned a lot of worthless stuff because my final classes were calculus and I never used that, I'd still recommend that many years of math. But practical math. As mentioned before, less of the solving matrices and logarithms stuff, more of the calculating compound interest stuff. I don't know how anyone here thinks there's any possibility of not learning algebra in school though. Our standard school system had everyone learning basic algebra at age 11. Well before high school. If anyone's not getting to that by the end of high school, they're definitely laughably underprepared for life and their school system has failed them.

The main problem with high school math classes is they may teach you important things, but never give you their practical applications, which is stupid. Kids would beg teachers all the time to tell them why this stuff was important or when they'd ever use it, but even if we were being taught something useful the teachers never explained how or why it was. We'd be taught probability, but not what that means in playing the lottery or gambling. We'd be taught exponential equations, but not told that this was useful for understanding and calculating compounding interest. We'd be taught geometry, but it was always weird proofs and never about how many garden soil bags we need to fill a 5 foot by 10 foot trough. We were given all the tools but how or why we'd be using them was always kept from us like it was some kind of "you'll get it when you're older" thing. Thank god I did retain the useful stuff and figure out WHAT it was even useful for. It makes me mad even to this day that there's a hundred ways to make math practical, and explain why it's useful, but all the math teachers would just splutter and say that we needed it if one day we thought we'd want to be a scientist. Nothing actually useful. You could've taught us how to find the best deal at a grocery store! How to arrive places on time! How loans work! But instead they couldn't be assed to even let us know what we were learning was useful after all.

I learned a lot of useful stuff. But I also learned so much crap I've never had to think of again. A whole year, wasted on teaching us how to plot sine waves on our calculators. I could do it, but who knows why. And if a person isn't a logical thinker by high school, no amount of logic proofs is going to teach them how to start that late in life. I watched the other kids. The only reason they found math so hard was because for some reason they couldn't follow simple directions. High school math is just following directions from A to B. You don't need to know why. I watched them fight with teachers over physics, asking how these problems resulted in those answers, when that didn't even matter. You follow the directions, you get the answer. Every time. They're not asking us to make new equations or discover quantum physics. They are just asking us to re-solve problems solved a million times before. We're not going to prove the physics teacher wrong about how gravity works. And this followed through to my adult life. Seems like not a single damn person can follow simple directions. You can give them a numbered list of 3 things to do in order and they just can't figure it out. They can't read and just do what it says. They'll say they couldn't figure out what they had to do. It's absolutely mind-numbing. Theoretically our school system is designed to create exactly these sorts of mindless cogs who can follow a simple direction, and yet somehow they aren't. That's a mystery I'd like solved.

Last edited by Macca26; 06-12-2019 at 12:58 AM.