View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 04:15 AM

Ok, this is personal, but arguably about a creative work.

On my wedding night my wife gives me a present. Oh noes, think I. Nobody told me that you're supposed to exchange gifts. I've got nothing. So I apologise, and this is all right. I unwrap....the present, you perverts - and it's a large photograph. She'd got a large print of a photograph I'd taken of two swans swimming on a lake we visited while courting. Very nice, I say.

After our honeymoon I'm instructed to hang the photo over our bed, and I do as I am told.

Fast forward 15 years, and we have children. The oldest asks what this photo is about. I explained where it was taken, and how it's a nice photo of swans, and Daddy took it, and Mummy gave it as a special present when we got married.

"You've forgotten the most important bit!" shrieks my wife.

"Uh, what bit's that?" I ask eloquently.

"The bit about how swans mate for life, and that symbolism that explains why I gave it to you on the day we got married. Why do you think I made you hang it over our bed? You couldn't think I was just giving you a photo of swans???"

"Well no.....not NOW darling....."

She proceeds to explain how every day, in every way, I just show how much truly thicker I am than she had thought. :-(

Last edited by waynemcdougall; 08-03-2009 at 04:15 AM.