View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koxinga View Post
Two characters who exhibit an older brother-younger brother relationship, calling each other the exact terms used in Chinese to describe such a relationship, gives me an inkling that Beckett may have picked up a dictionary or asked a Chinese friend about those words at some point in writing the play.
Nothing personal, but unless someone can find a cite, I'm just not going to buy this. Older brother/young brother doesn't strike me as a good summary of Vladimir and Estragon's relationship. Given that nobody in the audience would have understood this I find myself doubting that Beckett would have bothered. Why would he choose Mandarin, and how would he have done it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
In the opening sequence to Watchmen, we see a bunch of stylized scenes establishing the heroes' characters. Among them is a scene of a bomber with Sally Jupiter's portrait on the side. It was our third time watching that scene before my wife realized that the bomber was returning from dropping the A-bomb on Japan.
Maybe this isn't obvious, but I noticed it the last time I read Watchmen and I thought it was a great detail. When Laurie and Dr. Manhattan return to Earth, they're confronted with overwhelming carnage in the streets. Laying in the middle of it all is a page torn from a magazine. It's an ad for the Veidt Method, and the text reads "I will give you bodies beyond your wildest imaginings."