View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 04:06 AM

I don't think the nicknames in Waiting for Godot were just coincidental. I can't imagine the playwright being so careless or casual in choosing. And we already know that "Godot" was a significant choice.

Quote:
Lamia: A Production Code Era film could not have a male character openly attracted to other males, especially not if this character was one of the heroes.
True. Not openly. But take a second look at the relationship between the two men in Gilda. Nothing is spelled out. There is just a little erotic tension. It took many viewings and a question from a friend before I could see it.

Miracle on 34th Street:

Quote:
Cliffy: Doris needing to prove to Fred that she wasn't a wrinkled up prune
Maureen O'Hara, the actress who played the role in the 1942 version, is still alive and kicking and quite a plum!

Quote:
Sauron: I always wondered why Macy's would be selling x-ray machines.
I don't know if this is still true, but merchants at that time could purchase just about anything wholesale -- even if you were not in a business that usually sold that product.

The judge in the 1942 version was Gene Lockhart, the father of actress June Lockhart. He wrote a song that was popular during the Depression called "The World Is Waiting for the Sunrise." It was rerecorded and repopularized by Les Paul and Mary Ford in about the early 1950s.

Quote:
Hippy Hollow: I was listening to a BBC documentary about the history of recorded music, where the commentator remarked that most songs are in the 3-4 minute range because that's as much that would fit on a 45...
This sounds reasonable, but as best I remember, the popular songs that were recorded on 78s were also about that long. And I do remember that by the mid-1950s, there were 45s that had two songs on one side and two on the flip side. The were considered as sort of short "albums."

rowrrbazzle, loved the information about the music in West Side Story. The older I get, the more I appreciate that particular musical. I was told that some famous building -- the Kennedy Center or the Met -- is located where they shot the final fight scene. What is a shofar? (And don't tell me it's a man who drives rich Southern women to the spa. I know better.)

Finally, the man who played the Tin Man. Jack Haley, was it? I read not too long ago that when he was growing up it was just a very short distance from the factory that makes all those little heart-shaped Valentine candies with things written on them. "If I only had a heart..."