View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I do not know if anyone else has posted this article, but it has a story about a 4-yr old Holzhauer being a math whiz. There are pictures of the guy from the 1989news article.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...505-story.html

That's cool. Interesting that he went from a bit of an ugly duckling as a kid to a good looking guy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired and Cranky View Post
Does anyone think producers are rearranging the board to lower James's earnings? It seems there are more Daily Doubles in the $1,000 row, which means that James is more likely to pick them early in the round before he has built up a huge pot to wager. This reduces his potential winnings a bit (though it doesn't interfere with his streak). I wonder if producers will start making the FJ questions tougher just to reduce his daily winnings further.

That would make sense. And while IANAL, I can't remotely buy that their having a meeting and declaring "we have been consistenly blowing up our prize money budget lately, so we need to make Daily Doubles harder and/or less valuable" could qualify as "special and secret assistance" to his opponents. It's just facially incorrect IMO to characterize it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
I pointed this out earlier. And while I agree with you, itís akin to saying all someone needs to do to beat Usain Bolt is be faster to the finish line. Thatís a big ďallĒ.

Hopefully your wink means you don't really think it's akin to that. The fastest clicker in the world would not beat Holzhauer if he didn't have a copious knowledge of literature, history, pop culture, etc. And you can see by his performance in the clicker-free DDs and FJ that he is superior in that knowledge. He would have done very well on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" if that were still on (although I always assumed they were careful to not invite on Jeopardy-level brainiacs).