View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 09:48 PM

It's disgusting.

I'll never forget the first time I ever rang up insulin. I was a 16-year-old Target cashier in 1980, and even though I was years away from deciding I wanted to be a pharmacist, I did know what that substance in the box with the $6.28 price tag was, and called the pharmacy because I just didn't believe it. I thought something like that would be, like, $300 or something.

And now it is.

It would have been one of the old animal-sourced (beef or pork) insulins, which aren't sold in this country any more, and Target closed its pharmacies not long afterwards. They reopened them in the early 1990s when the company went nationwide.

Cut to 1987, when I was volunteering in a hospital pharmacy while making up my mind about going back to school, and when I saw Humulin, I asked if they took pancreases out of dead people and extracted the insulin, because I knew that was how they got human growth hormone (ETA from donated pituitary glands). The whole E. coli genetic engineering thing was explained to me, and I thought that was pretty cool.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 06-18-2019 at 09:51 PM.