View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 01:20 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
As I said, she physically attacked people (fortunately not her caretakers), and would also would try to get down the stairs, which if she had fallen would have been the end of her. When I was minding her overnight I had to keep the door to my bedroom locked. And she was in constant mental agony about the babies she thought were being tortured. She would spend hours screaming out the window in the middle of the night for the police to come and rescue them.

I'm well aware of these issues. My father was a sometimes violent schizophrenic. Once more effective anti-psychotics came along, I think his life and the lives of those who had to deal with him vastly improved.
Treating patient distress is a legit reason for such med use, but quite often they're not distressed, just angry. As I said it's a challenging area to navigate and I'm glad it worked out favorably for your mom's situation. It's a horror for everyone. Especially when the doc gets sued by some public advocacy agency for the elderly about prescribing such meds with the agreement of MPOA and family.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 11-10-2019 at 01:22 PM.