View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat
That may be the official explanation, but are you more vulnerable receiving food thru the driveup or standing there being told you won't be served?
I'm not defending the practice. I'm just giving an educated guess as to why they do it. I'm pretty sure it's not just to be mean. They want to make money; they aren't going to refuse service for no particular reason.

The unfortunate reality in today's litigious society is that companies' decisions are predicated on whether they could be held liable in a lawsuit. The bottom line is whether they could be sued and lose a lot of money. If they have a policy of refusing to serve walk-up customers at the drive-thru window, that's going to be strong evidence in the event of a lawsuit, whereas, "Well gee, your honor, we didn't think it was very likely that anyone would be hit.", would be a losing argument in court.

Having said that, I actually think it would be more dangerous to be standing there receiving food. It takes much longer to take an order, take money, give change, prepare the food, and give it to the customer, than it does to tell the customer to leave. In addition, if the customer refuses to leave, and is hit by a car, the restaurant is less likely to be considered responsible than if they encouraged the person to stand there.
Quote:
In a well-lighted driveway, with people walking across it to get to their cars and cars stopping to order anyway, what kind of danger is this? You're more likely to get hit crossing a street, and last I heard, that was legal.
It's probably not very likely, but it would only take one instance of it happening for the company to conceivably lose millions of dollars in a lawsuit.

Crossing the street is legal, but only in marked crosswalks or controlled intersections. Cities never encourage people to jaywalk.